It is the Android smartphone world now and considering the rise in Internet messengers and other such texting apps; the keyboard is now a precious feature of every handset. It is very surprising that even the smallest things like a keyboard also has differences and features in various apps. There are thousands of keyboard apps that are to be found in the Google Play Store and any other app marketplace and most of them contain similar features along with some unique ones. It does not need to be mentioned that Google also has a keyboard of its own which is called the Google Keyboard and also that it is one of the best in the business.
If you were thinking that keyboards are the ones that we have used in the old Nokia phones then, you are greatly mistaken. In this fast moving world, keyboards also need to be made in such a way that they also promote fast typing along with gestures and voice controls. Remember the smileys that we used to have and which was very limited in number. They have undergone a radical transformation in today’s world and any keyboard which has a very limited number of such smileys, is not a great one. So, now you do get a sense of what modern keyboards are like.
Let us now take a look at how the Google Keyboard is and what makes it better than its competitors.
Read More: [Google Calendar]
Google Keyboard features:
- First and foremost, the Google Keyboard has gesture typing which means that a user can slide their finger from one letter to another letter and thereby completing a word even before the gesture is complete. This method of typing is very useful for long words and also takes some time to learn.
- Voice typing is also another great feature that all keyboard apps contain nowadays. It helps to get the text from speaking and therefore makes the process of writing very fast.
- Suggestions and automatic corrections as well as next word prediction, are three features which are imperative for a keyboard app to have. An app without these 3 is nothing. Automatic corrections and suggestions are ok, but the next word prediction is something that makes writing better and faster.
- Keyboard apps also come with inbuilt dictionaries as standard nowadays. Whenever there is a word that you have not encountered, you can memorize it and increase your vocabulary. If there is a word which the dictionary does not know but which you used in jargon or colloquial language, then you can go ahead and add it to the dictionary. There is also an option to remove any word from this dictionary by long pressing it.
- Like I highlighted earlier, the emojis and emoticons and smileys have become a very significant part of texting and typing these days, so much so that all keyboard apps must have them and the more the number of smileys the more popular the app will go on to become.
- If you use the Google Keyboard on all your devices, and it is logged into your Gmail account, then you can improve your suggestions so that they can appear in all of your devices.
- The gesture control is very important in these apps. Google Keyboard has a function where when a user slides that I’m on the space bar the cursor automatically moves in the direction. The user can also input a gesture according to his or her liking and also delete it according to their convenience.
How to get Google Keyboard on your Android device?
The Google Keyboard, as you already saw is a great piece of software that helps users in typing fast and accurate sentences so that writing becomes smoother. The add-ons like auto-correction and prediction contribute to making writing error free, efficient and creative. Not only does it promote speed and accuracy in writing, but the Google keyboard with its dictionary also helps in the vocabulary enhancement of users. It is a great app to have, and if you want it on your Android handset, then you just have to go to Google Play Store and download and install it from there. Once you log in with your Google username and password, it gets automatically sync into all the devices that have your Gmail id in them.
Google Keyboard updates:
The Google keyboard receives regular updates like any other app and the most regular thing in all its updates is the continuously increasing number of languages that the app can support. Recently the app came out with the new update which was really fascinating for all the users because of the multitude of new features that it received including keyboard height adjustments, new gestures, a number and symbol layout, key borders, a one-handed mode and the ability for users to choose the themes of the keyboard.