We get newspapers to get the daily dose of what is going on in the world. With the advancement of technology by leaps and bounds, the newspaper is now slowly receding from the lives of people. Everything nowadays is going digital, even news. We now have hundreds and hundreds of websites and apps and other services that offer news at a moment’s notice. Like everything else in the world, news has also gone digital. The biggest exponent of digital news for Android phones as well as iOS handsets is the Google Play Newsstand. This app stands out from all other news website apps because it is not a news service but a news aggregator which means Google Bots search the web for news and articles that are the most trending and relevant according to the user. The Google Play Newsstand is one of the best in the business because it monitors all the main news websites and takes information from them in order to deliver the most popular and trending news on their app so that users don’t have to search all over the net for a particular piece of information. You basically get all the major news headlines from all over the world on a single app.
Read More: [Pokemon Go bots]
Google Play Newsstand Features:
- The Google Play Newsstand first launched for Android in 2013 and then following the popularity of the app it was released for iOS also. This app is actually a merger between Google Play Magazines and Google’s former news providing app called Google Currents. The Google Play Newsstand app is free to use, and news sources and magazines that can be found in the app can be subscribed to for free. Users can also review and offer ratings to the content that are displayed on the app, and it also has the added usability where all Google accounts are synced, and therefore, all devices having the same Google account will get the news from the app.
- What makes the Google Play Newsstand app one of the best are the many unique features that it offers. Google Play Newsstand supports RSS feeds. The feeds, however, are not displayed on the app. Users have to copy the feed URL and paste it in the app search box. A big disadvantage is that content rich RSS feeds are not very compatible with the app.
- Like all news apps, Google Play Newsstand has many categories that the news is divided in; which makes it easy for the user to pick and choose a particular category and read the news from the same. This app launched with nearly 1800 free and paid publications, but now it has exceeded more than 3000 such news services. The app is very useful because it transforms news content on its own into mobile friendly versions without much effort from the news offering service or the user.
- The app also offers offline reading by caching news articles.
- Now for a little help using this app. This app is primarily divided into 4 categories which are Read Now, Bookmark, My Library, and Explore. The Read Now section is the one that appears at the very beginning when you open the app. You will find news articles from all over the world displayed on this page in an absorbing and graphically brilliant presentation. Every news article is in the form of a thumbnail which you can double tap in order to enlarge it so that it can be viewed as a whole story. The app is very useful in the context that it slowly starts curating content according to your interest.
- As previously mentioned, you can also save a news article for later use by caching the page. This is the bookmarking feature. You can also select the category that is to be displayed on this page as well as news articles from particular authors whom you like.
- The My Library section is the place where you can manage all your subscriptions of news feeds and magazines. This is the place where you will see how many magazines and news feeds you have subscribed to and how many of them are paid or unpaid. You can also add subscriptions from this section. Speaking of subscription, Google Play Newsstand has a significant disadvantage which is that you cannot delete any of your subscriptions.
Google Play Newsstand for Android:
After going through the introduction and the features of the Google Play Newsstand app if you think that this app is cut out for you then this is how you get it for your Android handset. The steps are really simple, and I don’t think it needs much spelling out. You just have to visit the Google Play Store on your Android phone and then search for the app. As soon as you get the app, download it, read the permissions and then install it. Yes, it is that simple!
Google Play Newsstand for iOS:
This app is not only a real life saver but also a very good time saver and therefore if you think that this is only available on Android you are greatly mistaken. This app is so good that it has also found a place in the Apple iStore. All that is needed to be done is for you to visit the iTunes app store and search for the app. Just type in Google Play Newsstand and you will see the app at the very top of the search list. This app must be downloaded and installed like any other iOS app, but since this app is created by Google, you have to have a Gmail account and a new password in order to register and use it. You can either use the Gmail account if you already have one or you will get the option to create a new one. You can start using it once you are done with this you will find Google Play Newsstand on your iOS device.
So, there you have it. One of the best apps that will sate your hunger for news and one that is available on both iOS and Android, the two dominant mobile operating systems.
Read More: [Google Play Movies and TV]